Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Day Five the Race of the Caballitos

We have been moved to the main kitchen due to my arm, Maria is very kind to share her space.  Maria is one of the race organizers and is up from dawn to late at night meeting with people and doing all the last minute things that come with organizing an event like this.  I feel like I am imposing but she won't hear of it.

There is also an ER Doctor staying at Entres Amigos for to run in the race, she starts with a disclaimer but assures me the arm is broken in two places and will require surgery.  BUT, she tells me, most doctors will wait a week for that type of surgery.  It makes the decision easier, we will be back in Wyoming in a week or so, so why leave? To be honest the pain was not horrible and I want to see Gary run.  The young racers give me kudos for being strong...HA.  Those kids are incredible.

We head into town to watch the children's race only to find it has already started. There are 500 kids,  and numerous adults barreling towards us, most sporting the lime green t-shirts donated for the race.  We had been told that the kids would give the runners a 'run for their money' and we were not disappointed.  They sprinted around the course like thoroughbreds.  The race was almost done before it started.  There were mothers with young children, some running with babies on their backs.  I felt humbled that the children's school supplies they would receive were so paltry- although i don't know if that was the incentive or if they ran for the fun of it.  I would put a pitch in here to donate to the race for next year (http://www.ultracb.com/caballitos/).  The kids all got t-shirts, medals and a pack with school supplies.







The rest of the day people, prepare for tomorrow THE RACE DAY.  Most people are quiet and resting, packing their 'drop bags', packs full of supplies to be left at a strategic location.  I feel like I was in an indigenous camp watching men prepare for battle.  Most of the jovial mood is gone; people are serious and attentive.  AND quiet.  Gary asks about what to pack and people are very open to let him know what works for them.  He is packing one of the pairs of the blue wool socks I had made for him until we see Flint frowning.  'are these a bad idea?'  he frowns again 'well i don't think you should wear them.'  His French accent comes out when he is worried 'you will get what we call old man feet'.  I feel the urge to point out that at 60 Gary has old man feet already, but I refrain.  'Old man feet' apparently are pruney, wet feet that are vulnerable to blisters.  Gary packs some techy socks that Bob has given him.

The other thing that is noticeable is that people are chowing like crazy.  Guacamole is a constant fixture at the table and at any given time there is a group eating... again with their secret diet...bacon, pasta, veggies.  I think you could have done a study on diets that day.  Beer was at a minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment